Dad, Jackie, and Me
"...an affecting tribute to Robinson, to a dedicated son and to a thoughtful, deep-feeling father. And, of course, to baseball."
"...genuinely affecting... Bootman's realistic, wonderfully expressive watercolor paintings capture the fashions and flavor of 1940's New York in muted brows and greens. The endpapers, an actual scrapbook of old newspaper articles about Robinson, provide a satisfying context for this ultimately upbeat, multi-dimensional story."
"Bootman's lovely watercolor paintings add detail and wistful nostalgia... [readers] will appreciate the story's insightful treatment of deafness as viewed through the eyes of a child."
"It takes the young Uhlberg, narrator of the story, a while to overcome his embarrassment at his father's attempts to cheer for Robinson...but eventually Dad's devotion wins the day in a moving finale. Colin Bootman, who earned a Coretta Scott Honor Award for Almost to Freedom (2003), uses evocative watercolors rich in soft browns and lush greens to capture both the feel of the 1940s (fedora-wearing fans) and the electricity of Robinson's play."
"[Bootman's] rich watercolors evoke the deep shadows of summer afternoons at the ballpark and the easy camaraderie between father and son."
* 2006 ALA Schneider Family Book Award
* 2007 IBBY Outstanding Books for Young People with Disabilities
* 2006 NCSS/CBC Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Children
* Honorable mention, 2005 Gustavus Myers Award, Gustavus Myers Center for the Study
of Bigotry and Human Rights
* 2006 Storytelling World Award
* 2006 IRA Teachers' Choice
* 2006 NCTE Notable Children's Book in the Language Arts
* 2006 Comstock Award (MN)
* 2007-2008 Land of Enchantment Book Awards Master List (NM)
* 2007-2008 CRA/CLA/CATE/CSLA California Young Reader Medal
* 2007-2008 Arkansas Diamond Primary Book Awards Reading List
* 2007-2008 Children’s Crown Awards (honor book)
* 2009-2010 Virginia Young Readers’ Choice Award (list)
* Special Recognition, 2006 Paterson Prize for Books for Young People
* Nominee, 2005 SCBA Book Awards (CA)
* Nominee, 2006-2007 Land of Enchantment Book Award
* Nominee, 2006-2007 Bill Martin Jr Picture Book Award (KS)
* Nominee, 2006-2007 Florida Reading Association's Children's Book Award
* Nominee, 2006-2007 Living the Dream Children's Book Award
* Nominee, 2007 North Carolina Children's Book Award
* Nominee, 2007-2008 Show Me Readers Award Program (MO)
* Nominee, 2007-2008 Children’s Crown Awards
* Nominee, 2007-2008 Black-Eyed Susan Award
* Nominee, 2007-2008 KC3 Reading Award
* Nominee, 2008 Charlotte Award (intermediate list) (NY)
* Nominee, 2008-2009 Young Hoosier Book Award (Picture Book category) (IN)
* Nominee, 2008-2009 Pennsylvania Young Reader’s Choice Awards