"...[a] heartfelt tale of an ordinary person rising to meet an extraordinary challenge."
"...the large, realistic paintings are enthralling, showing close up both the strong men at work with the pounding machinery and the boy's bond with his brave, gentle father."
"A unique tale of a quiet kind of heroism--literally and figuratively... The simplicity of the story gives the text its drama, and its message of caring for one’s fellow humans is powerful."
"The painterly illustrations reinforce a sense of nostalgia, and the arrested motion of the figures evokes the quiet world of the printer in the midst of an obviously noisy industrial setting. Told from the viewpoint of an adoring son, this story of unassuming heroism subtly impresses its message that 'dis'-ability has its compensations; in its various emphases on vocation, history, and language, it also invites cross-curricular applications."
"Handsome paintings convey the story's emotion."
* 2004 NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, Selector's Choice
* 2005 IBBY Outstanding Book for Young People with Disabilities
* 2004 Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Books of the Year
* 2006 California Collections (elementary school)
* Suggested Reading List, 2006 Charlotte Award (NY)
* Nominee, 2005-2006 Utah Beehive Award
* Nominee, 2006-2007 Land of Enchantment Book Awards (NM)